The Aims and Activities of the German-American Association Siegerland-Wittgenstein e.V.
The German-American Association Siegerland-Wittgenstein e. V. was founded in Siegen in April 2004.
The members of the Association are US citizens and mainly German citizens of the District of Siegen-Wittgenstein. Many of the German members either spent some time in the USA as former exchange students, worked and lived there for a while or even have family ties in the States. All members share an interest in in the German-American friendship and in international understanding and communication.
Furthermore, the University of Siegen, some high schools (Gymnasien), local history and culture clubs, towns, communes and regional firms are members, too. At present the Association has more than 90 members.
The aim of the Association is the cultivation of human, cultural, historical and economic relations between German and US citizens. Its purpose is solely and exclusively the welfare of the public and the mutual understanding of German and American people. It is a non-profit organization and pursues no political aims.
The main tasks of the Association:
1. to encourage and support the exchange of students and persons undergoing practical training; to organize meetings of former and future exchange students and trainees
2. to cultivate and re-establish the relations to the regions and oranizations of the descendants of emigrants from the Siegerland and Wittgenstein area
3. to encourage and support partnerships between towns, schools and associations and to promote business contacts
4. to organize lectures and talks about social, political, cultural, economic and transatlantic topics
5. to organize social activities within the Association:
- English-speaking conversation circle
- American customs and traditions
- visits to theatre plays, concerts, lectures and exhibitions of American artists
At present our members are working together in three different groups:
|1. English-speaking conversation circle – every second Tuesday in a month||Information: Sibylle Schwarz,
|2. Group of former and future exchange students and trainees||Information: Sibylle Schwarz,
|3. Emigration of people from the Siegerland and Wittgenstein area to the US||Information: Karin Ohrendorf,
For further information see “Articles of the Statutes of the German-American Association Siegerland-Wittgenstein e.V.“
For Membership please use the “Declaration of Membership“ and download it here.
Membership dues and donations are used for the fulfilment of the Association’s tasks.